There are many technical words used by webmasters and at first it can be
rather confusing. This page has been setup in an attempt to help understand
what it all means.
- Alexa Traffic Rank - A ranking system setup by Alexa.com
which ranks website according to the traffic they receive. The 2 main
weaknesses in this system is the fact that users must have the Alexa Bar
installed in order to be monitored and that a webmaster can artificially
improve his Alexa ranking by visiting his own site. A site with an Alexa
Traffic Ranking of 500 means that that site is the 500th most popular site
on the internet (according to Alexa).
- Bump - "To bump a thread on an internet forum is to post a reply
in order to raise the thread's profile by returning it to the top of the
list of active threads."(WikiPedia) It is
usually something frowned upon by other users.
- DNS - Domain Name System
- Domain Name - The name used to identify a site - for example this
site's domain name is "SiteToolCenter.com". The "www" is not part of the
- FTP - File Transfer Protocol. A popular method of transfering
files between the webmasters personal computer and their server.
- Google - God ;)
- Hidden Text - Sometimes used by some webmasters to make their
page keyword rich without making the page look messy. This is bad practice
and search engines now days have taken measures to prevent this from
affecting their analysis of a website/webpage.
- Hits - A single access request made to the server.
- Link Exchange - Literally what it says. An exchanging of links
between sites for the purposes of SEO.
- PR - Google Page Rank. A ranking system devised by Google in
an attempt to show the importance of a site. It ranges from 0 to 10 with
10 being the best.
- SE - Search Engine
- SEO - Search Engine Optimization
- SERP - Search Engine Results Page
- Traffic - People coming to your site.
- Uniques - See "Unique Visitors"
- Unique Visitors - 1 visitor from 1 IP address within a certain
time frame is counted as a unique visitor.
- WYSIWYG - What You See Is What You Get
Back to The New Webmaster's Resource Page ]
Copyright © 2017 SiteToolCenter.com
Best Viewed With Mozilla FireFox